Here are a few tips to capture some amazing black and white images. Keep in mind, always shoot RAW.
1. Look for Contrast: Make sure you have contrast in your image
2. Look out for Shadows and Textures: Choose to photograph images with them
3. Look for Tonal Range: Look for scenes having areas of varying tones of grey
4. Look for Patterns: Patterns can look very interesting in a black and white image
5. Try HDR: it can create brilliant images because of the higher dynamic range.
Source: Light Stalking B&W Tips